Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Wizened Little Old Man & The Awesome Black Lady

Dear The Little Wizened But Nevertheless Sprightly Old Man With The Green Shopping Cart,

You saw me huffing, puffing and panting, holding three bags of groceries and straining to carry them up the hill. You, with your wonderful mustache, cap, and strength, took them from me, put them in your green shopping cart, sprinted over to my apartment building and then fought me to bring them to my door. During this time, all I did was helplessly repeat "Thank you" while you talked to me in Spanish, which meant I didn't understand a word. I have no idea what poeta means, alas.

Then there's the awesome black lady who took my groceries from the door and brought them to the elevator for me.

Sprightly Old Man & Awesome Black Lady- I love you! And, my friend with the green shopping cart, you are in the esteemed company of the man from Isaac's Bake Shop on my list of favorite little old men. That is quite the honor, so you should be happy!

7 comments:

The Cousin said...

Now all you have left to do is to aprendes espanol a hablar con sus amigos nuevos

That was very nice of the man as well. You see, now if you wern't a female, it's doubtful either person would have helped you out. So now what does this say about the constructs of gender roles and identities in our society?
(*smirk*)

Grocery shopping here in the city is quite the adventure. As for me--I do most of my shopping early Sunday AM, and trek back home on the subway, with heavy bags full of bountiful goods for the week.

Josh said...

That is definitely the annoying thing about Wadsworth - you always have to walk up that hill, unless you live near 190th St. in which case you can take the tunnel from 190th and Broadway and then the elevator goes up to St. Nicholas Ave.
You may want to occasionally have Key Food deliver your groceries, they only charge $3 for delivery.

Anonymous said...

I disagree Cousin people have this thing called the abillity to sense how people are feeling and as well i believe in this story the hill showed the challenge and to put Chana through the motions and i believe the people who spoke spanish although that is the language that they know i think it was good they were responding like such because that is there comfort and actions speak louder than words remember this though there are always good people that are jews finding them is hard however so don't give up Chana they are around and here to help when asked gn tlbb

Ben Rosenfeld

The Cousin said...

yesod shel limud--I think you misinterpreted my comment.
It was meant to be somewhat sarcastic/kidding in nature.

I very much liked the story and do like how it reflects the positive aspects of human nature--despite any exisiting language barriers. Too often we only see the negative actions of people (which is ashame)--especially here in the City.

Sorry if my original post didn't come accross as intented.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i got and understood the smirk don't get me wrong cousin i just disagree i think it needs to be fundamentally understood that there are good people regardless and it can become hard to find them the smirk may not have been the best movie in that post gn tl bb

Ben Rosenfeld

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.