Friday, August 28, 2009

I Welcome The Shabbat Queen, Part 5

So we're having 11 people for Friday night dinner and 10 for Shabbat lunch. Thus, in addition to the pasta and potato salad that I made, various people brought drinks, dessert, challah, grape juice, squash kugel, potato kugel and so forth, which is awesome. Here's what I cooked today:

Pumpkin Pie:



Apple Kugel:


Meatballs:


And then I set up a station in order to prepare the two different types of chicken:


The first type is Asian Cutlets:


The second type is Tongues of Flame Chicken (which is a fancy way of saying that you roll the chicken around pastrami, hence the 'tongue of flame.')



(It was while making these that I sang a song to the tune of 'Sunrise, Sunset' regarding the extra cornflake crumbs - those that were not needed to coat the chicken of flame. I assumed they were sad about the fact that they would not get to honor the Shabbat by being placed on the chicken we would eat to honor Shabbat. I therefore informed them that they were still good, even though they were going into the garbage. God values the intent, after all, so they are sacred cornflake crumbs, too.)

See how prettily everything is arranged on the platter!


Happy Chana. Shabbat Shalom!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool!

Brizingr/Taran said...

Wow. Great Cooking. I can't wait till u get home so i can try out those recipes and yes, YOU will be cooking them, not mom. Bona petit!!!!

Urchin said...

Very mouthwatering. i got to agree with Brizingr on this- Can't wait till you come home so that you can cook these dishes. That cooking looks AWESOME!!!!

Aaron said...

Looks fantastic!
How do you make time to cook all of these? Good shabbos!

The Cousin said...

Once again wonderfully done!

The "tongues of flame" stand out--as you say the chicken is wrapped around the Pastrami?

I ask because it sounds sort of like reverse Kosher rumaki! No?

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

That's it; graduate Stern, get married, and START COOKING!

It's funny, for some reason I was actually dreaming about pumkin pie this Shabbat...I actually plan on making some myself soon..

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

And by the way, Chanah, (to put in a word for Sefaradi pride)the Bukharian cuisine of your mother is FAAAR healthier than all this modern junk-food American/Ashkenazi stuff...you should look into it..

the only way i know said...

the way you spoke comfortingly to the cornflake crumbs reminds me of phoebe on friends - lol. cute!