Monday, August 17, 2009

The Fairy Queen Emerges

It's extraordinarily rare that I look into the mirror and think:

It's far more often that I pray: But my mother bought me the absolutely most gorgeous dress in the entire world- it was meant for a fairy queen or some ethereal creation...and it makes me look like I wandered out of some world where the beautiful people belong. It's in honor of Daughter of God's wedding (she's getting married tonight! To The Man With the Colored Coat! I'm so excited I can hardly breathe.)

And I'm tempted to declaim:

Newts and blind-worms, do no wrong,
Come not near our fairy queen.
Philomel, with melody
Sing in our sweet lullaby;
Lulla, lulla, lullaby, lulla, lulla, lullaby:
Never harm,
Nor spell nor charm,
Come our lovely lady nigh;
So, good night, with lullaby.

Anyone know where that's from? If you have to look it up, it does not count.

And let's put it this way...nobody would be ashamed to know me tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chana,I hope you

"Spread your wings and let the fairy in you fly!" tonight.
-Author Unknown

Btw,you are quite silly to think you are not pretty. G-d made you very pretty. Have fun @ the wedding!

Anonymous said...

picture pleeeeeeease

SJ said...

Oooh, I know where the quote is from: it's sung to Titania, the Fairy Queen in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Gotta love Shakespeare. :)

And I can't wait to see the dress--I'm sure it looks beautiful on you.

Anonymous said...

a midsummer night's dream, of course!

i was puck.

just a quick story: we were performing outdoors one night and hermia (my best friend in real life) was chasing after lysander (her boyfriend in real life), who was bewitched by me, puck, to think he loved HELENA. hermia slipped while running onto the edge of the stage, but bounced back quickly. however, she then realized--as lysander starts yelling at her that she is a dog--that her finger was...sideways. The front row of the audience realized this as well. hermia looked to me, sobbing--JUST LIKE SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DOING DURING THAT SCENE!-- pleadingly, and i had no idea why she would break character to look at me (but did admire her sincere crying, better than any rehearsal), so i continued laughing as my character ought to at this folly. lysander continued shouting. the front row tried to discreetly tell him that hermia was hurt...at which point, hermia started hyperventilating/crying.

lysander realizes his girlfriend has a dislocated finger and he is shouting at her.
lysander turns white, leads her offstage.

awkward pause.

helena says desperately, "I will leave you here, Demetrius..." at which point the director smoothly announces a five minutes intermission.

the best orthopedic surgeon in the town happens to be in the audience, and snaps hermia's finger back into place and tapes it up in barely a minute. hermia comes back onstage to have a massive catfight with helena. the irony? the orthopedic surgeon was the father of hermia's understudy, who would have performed if hermia had really been debilitated.

anyway, i hope the wedding went...and is going...wonderfully. :)

-Meg

Chana said...

Meg,

That. Is. Hilarious.

Everyone else,

Thank you for the lovely comments. Obviously I can't post pictures but suffice it to say that everyone was utterly beautiful and the wedding was lovely!