Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hip-Hop, the Industry

Some of the things I learned in this Sex & Gender Roles class were actually great.

For instance, there's a fascinating documentary entitled "Hip-Hop: Beyond Beats & Rhymes." It focuses upon the hypermasculinity, sexism and violence promoted by this culture. Of course, this is spread across the entire musical genre (just listen to Z100- I hate that "do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips" song). But I have never seen any music video as utterly disgusting and misogynistic as Nelly's "Tip Drill." He literally slides a credit card down this woman's posterior- and that's the least of it. That's going to give me bad dreams for the rest of my life. And the sad thing is that I bet it's a turn-on for plenty of people. And I can even see why it is...but it's total, utter objectification of women and it's sick.

See the entire documentary on YouTube here.

1 comment:

harry-er than them all said...

something i came across this summer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMjLEQi9TVY