Friday, June 19, 2009

Redt?

For the record, I always used to think people were saying: "Yes, they read me a shidduch."

Now, that meant I was rather confused, because I didn't understand why exactly someone had to be reading you the Shidduch Resume. You have two perfectly good eyes; can't you read it yourself? But I guessed that maybe that was part of the Shadchan's role; she exists in order to read you resumes before actually sending them to you.

So could someone please explain to me: What does redt mean? And what language is it in?

Thanks so much! It's great to learn something new every day. *smile*

6 comments:

Something Different said...

Redt is yiddish for talk or speak. I am not sure why it works to say "I want to redt you a shidduch" but not "I want to speak you a shidduch".
I guess it boils down to yinglish. In yinglish you would say "I want to tell for you a gitte shiddech."

:-p

Chana said...

Hey Something Different!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Also, I clicked over to your blog and I'm just curious- what does it mean to be a 'very normal Bais Yaakov girl?' (I am really just curious- I know it is hard to catch tone over this medium.)

Ezzie said...

Yeah I didn't know for years that it was redt until someone wrote it and I questioned their spelling. :)

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

Something Different: You can't say "speak you a shidduch" for the same reaaon you can't replace the word "vort" for "word" in English. A lot of words have a very different usage in Judeo-German (Yidish). (not to mention their lexicon was quite limited).

Anonymous said...

Redt means talk in yiddish, that's how you say propose, or making an offer, "Do I have something for you..." And it is proper Yiddish.

The Rashblog said...

Well, now I know it's not read. I learn something new every day.