Thursday, November 05, 2009

Yankees

My interest in baseball is absolutely non-existent. My interest in the Yankees is also non-existent (but so is my interest in the Mets, Knicks, etc.) I root for the Cubs because of family tradition but smiled happily when the White Sox won the World Series. But New York is going insane outside my window- catcalls, cheering, whistling, car horns, screaming, cheering, chanting, setting off fireworks- and I have to say, it's really nice to see so many happy people. Imagine what a world with so many happy people all the time would be like. In fact, it's like a taste of the Messianic era- everyone totally thrilled and happy- taking place in the street.

2 comments:

Shades of Grey said...

that's quite an interesting perspective. My roommate and I were sitting here a bit wary of the craziness and flinching at what sounded like gun shots... I must say that reading this made me smile.

The Cousin said...

I slept through all the noise this time. (It's a talent that I have).

When the Giants won the Superbowl 2 seasons ago, I remember looking out my window, down second avenue and it was simply crazy! The street was full of people celebrating, jumoing on cars and so on. (It probably didn't help matters that one of the bodega owners was also giving out free beer). There were some pictures of the scene in the NYT the following day.