Monday, January 04, 2010

The Eroticism of Language

I have to tell you something. Do you have any idea that my pupils dilate when I see a word of yours in another place, even when I stumble upon it in a newspaper or in a TV commercial...because certain words are so obviously yours, your soul prints, and coming from any other human being they sound like speaking equipment, fragments of language, no more than that. And until there was you, I never imagined that meeting a stranger's language could be as exciting as the first touch of her body, and her smell, and the texture of her skin and hair and beauty marks. Do you feel the same way?

~Be My Knife by David Grossman, pages 14-15

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What were her words?

Shades of Grey said...

It seems to me this implies a certain intrinsic fascination/attraction that exists on a cerebral level. Kind of spiritually based, I guess.

Dina said...

I've known this