Monday, October 05, 2009

Voodoo Doll Lament

There is someone somewhere holding a little green voodoo doll
with a silver circlet pressing into its temples.
There's a band of wire, you see,
thin, strong, silver wire
being drawn across this doll's forehead
and pressing into her head,
the intent being to hurt her so much that she
screams and screams and screams
because her head is on fire.
And this voodoo doll is meant to be
me.

So dear person with the voodoo doll
please reshape my clay head
into some resemblance of my own
and remove the silver circlet
because you are
absolutelyfrigginkilling me here
and my head
my poor head
hurts.

'Hurts' is actually an understatement.
If I were being eaten alive by crocodiles,
I might smile cheerfully.
Murdered by crows,
chuckle merrily.
But this, this murderous silver circlet
pressing into my head;
this is torture.
(So much so that I've imagined this whole scenario
to explain why it's happening.)

So please, dear voodoo-dollmaster.
Take pity!
Fix the doll
and leave me be.

6 comments:

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Feel better!

Shira Salamone said...

Ouch! Hope you hurting head heals soon.

Anonymous said...

Chana,

We love you and wish you well, but let's not even pretend that heathen practitioners of forbidden darkness have any sway over Am Isroel in any form. It speaks too highly of those rebellious toward G-d.

Get well soon!

Anonymous said...

I like the poem.A pretty imaginative way to describe one's headache. Chana,are you still reading books way into a night with little sleep? Or is the headache due to yom tov celebration?

Anonymous said...

headache is from too much streeeeesssss

Unknown said...

I felt like I had to do that, you'd never written about me in your blog. But now that you've written about me the voodoo doll should no longer be necessary (though I'll keep it around just in case).
You'll be feeling better as soon as I can get this wire unwrapped from your head.