Sunday, December 06, 2009

The Blind Side

Today I went to see "The Blind Side." It was amazing. No more details than that because I want you all to see it. The tough mom reminds me of my mother and my little brother Taran especially (and Urchin, also) would be awesome bros for Big Mike. In any case, I want to talk about something different, namely....

New York Achdus.

I absolutely love going to crowded movie theaters. I went to the opening night of "The Dark Knight" - the 12:00 AM premiere- and I absolutely adored it for various reasons. And today was similar. You see, when New Yorkers get together in a crowded movie theater, they laugh, cry, gasp, swear, make comments and just interact with the screen in a way that is so fantastic to behold. We all unite. We're there together- experiencing, enjoying, loving and shocked. We're a family for that moment in time and it binds us together. And I love that. That is one of my favorite parts of New York. I love that feeling, when the love spills over and we're in everything together.

Ah, New York, my home, my home, my home.

8 comments:

Ezzie said...

GREAT movie.

The Cousin said...

I take it that this means you are no longer sick...which is a good sign.

As for people talking back to the movies...it's an interesting phenomena

inkstainedhands said...

Yep, that's New York! I also love how when you're waiting in line for tickets to a Broadway show, you kind of get to know the people waiting with you, and you feel a sense of connection because you're both so excited for the same thing. I have so many stories of experiences like that... I love it.

Josh said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I read the book a year ago, and it was one of the best books I've read. I highly recommend it.

nmf #7 said...

What happened to good old Chicago?

But seriously glad you're feeling better and enjoying yourself.

greater midwest said...

nmf#7 stole my thunder. Chana, how do you suggest Chicago may save itself from the defection of many of its best & brightest eastward?

The Shipper said...

"The tough mom reminds me of my mother."

Yeah, like your mother would ever allow the family to watch TV during dinner and not concentrate on the food and family. And speaking of food, it'll be interesting to see the day that she buys Thanksgiving.

Oh yes, the shipper shipped today!

Jewish Atheist said...

The book was great, too. Michael Lewis is a fantastic non-fiction author.