Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Assorted Items of Interest

1) A courageous and smart girl who grew up in the Hasidic community writes about putting on a hijab for a school production. Read her insightful commentary here. Then watch her perform tomorrow.

2) Happy Yom Ha'atzmaut!

3) I miss blue-and-white donuts. Wish we had them at work.

4) I love the song 'Senses Capture' by Leaves Eyes. (Real music, not acapella- just a heads up).

5) Anyone have anything fun or of interest to share? Any articles I should read? Comment and let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read her piece. I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole thing. Even with her explanation, there are some lines I am not sure that Jews should be crossing. Call me close-minded.

I only eat jelly-donuts.

And a suggestion - Donate copious amounts of your time to 1967-73 Pink Floyd (including live performances). Your life will change for the better.

Josh said...

Some suggestions:
A great short book is "Stick Figure" by Lori Gottlieb. It's her diary from when she was 11 years old and had anorexia. It's really interesting to see the world through an 11-year-old's eyes.

A great youtube video is The Last Lecture: Really Achieving your childhood dreams by Randy Pausch. He was a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon and he gave this lecture after he was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. (He passed away in July of 2008). The link is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

I think I've linked to it before, but here again is a link to "Searching for Bobby Fischer," a great movie about what it means to be a great parent and teacher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YniREZKrQj0

And I just saw an article that lists "Nearly 100 Fantastic Pieces of Journalism." I've just skimmed the list, but some look very interesting:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/05/nearly-100-fantastic-pieces-of-journalism/238230/