Sunday, September 26, 2010

In Which I Make History

So this past Shabbat my parents made a kiddush in honor of Heshy and myself. It was supposed to take place in the sukkah of Shaarei Tzedek.

However...at first there were two sukkot at the shul.

Then there was one.

And then there were none.

At which point they decided to make a Women's Kiddush (since we aren't obligated in Mitzvos Asei She'Hazeman Grama).

And I got to say Kiddush for everyone! And make history at my shul- because a woman said kiddush for all the women and drank from the cup. Very exciting. Hurrah!

5 comments:

kisarita said...

All of a sudden, when given the opportunity to do so, women find that playing a role in ritual leadership is exciting and fulfilling. suprise surprise.

dman said...

I was standing in the men's section by the door to the social hall when I heard you announce that you were going to make Kiddush. At that point, IIRC, one of the women closed the door to the men's section, so I did not get to hear you make Kiddush. However, my wife was in the room and was able to hear.

Philo said...

at first there were two sukkot at the shul.

Then there was one.

And then there were none.


I guess they don't call it the windy city for nothing...

The Cousin said...

So what happened to the Sukkot? Were they both blown down/over?

dman said...

To The Cousin:

There was a storm on Tuesday night Erev Yom Tov. A number of Sukkot in the neighborhood were damaged. Shaarei Tzedek built theirs in the middle of the parking lot rather than next to the building. This may have made them more vulnerable.