Sunday, February 24, 2008

Love Song for God

I came across the most beautiful love song about God; it's called "All Around Me" and is performed by the band Flyleaf.

For those of us who know how easy it is to be conflicted about God, this song is particularly beautiful for the moments when we are close to Him, and He surrounds us, and nothing could be more clear than the fact that He exists and He is our God; we chose Him and we love Him with all our heart and all our soul. Unfortunately, those moments vary. As in any relationship, especially those that are strong, there are moments when we feel extremely distant from the other person, or cannot speak because we are so angry at them. This is especially applicable with God. God can read our thoughts, and it follows that He knows everything I think and feel about Him. He knows how I love Him, and how I hate Him, and how I am angry with Him at times, and how I wish that He didn't exist so that I could establish my own ideas and form of morality. There are a thousand thoughts and feelings and they must, by their nature, conflate.

I particularly like the chorus to the song. It goes like so:

I can feel you all around me
Thickening the air I'm breathing
Holding on to what I'm feeling
Savoring this heart that's healing

The words "thickening the air I'm breathing" are so perfect. God does precisely that- He thickens the air I breathe. Sometimes He chokes me, so that I'm struggling for breath; sometimes it's simply that He is there, His essence is what I breathe in, and I am relaxed and everything I am is in accord. But that's precisely how it feels to take breath. The air is thick, either with something beautiful and golden; His very essence, or with something dark, so that it chokes me and I fight against it, because I hate it so much, but I have no choice.

I also like Lacey's intensity when she sings:

Take my hand
I give it to you
Now you own me
All I am

You would think that God created us and therefore owns us. But I disagree with that; I think that while it is true God created us, it is up to us to be ruled or to refuse to be ruled. It is for this reason that we have control over our lives. I can live my life as my offering to God, my sacrifice, so that in my own way my very life atones for me. In effect, I can give God the gift of my life and the gift of my existence; there is no more precious gift! Or I can jealously guard it and snatch it from Him, to keep for myself, to do what I will. And the latter option is at times so much more appealing than the former.

No one said anything could be acccomplished without a struggle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some people view this song as Christian. However,it could be applied to any source of Higher power. I love how she speaks of her heart being healed when she is with Him,ie God Its an anointed song about what happens when God pours out His spirit on the ones that suffer,hurt . She is surrendering to God and He is revealing Himself.
It's a truly powerful message contained in a really great song.
I'm with you on this one!