Sunday, June 07, 2009

Homework Buddies

In elementary school, we were homework buddies. We lived just across the street from one another.

She brought me my homework when I was sick; I brought hers home when she was sick.

I remember going to her house for Shabbos and being amazed by the beautiful appetizer her mother served. It was salmon wrapped in puff pastry dough and there was an exciting sauce alongside it on each individual plate. I also remember playing in the basement and being excited by the toys. I remember her hair in all its stages, dark and cut short, dark and wavy...

I have known her ever since I can remember. In kindergarten, our mothers independantly picked out the same blue-and-white flower-printed dress for us. However, I wore mine to my kindergarten graduation, and she did not.

Today she's going to be married. And all I can think is: You were my homework buddy, not so very long ago. A staple of my life, the one constant; something unchanging and reliable. It's strange to have that taken from me, even though this allows you the star bedecked glory you richly deserve. It's not as though we have been homework buddies for the past 5 years. And yet, when I think of you, it is this image that comes to mind: the kind, patient girl who brought me my work and explained my assignments. We were not best friends; we had different crowds, but you were kind to me. I appreciate that. In fact, I have always admired that in you.

Mazal Tov, lovely homework buddy! May you and your soon-to-be-husband be blessed in every way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my dear chana thank you so much for the beautiful post you should be Zocheh that the same way you tell of beautiful things on this blog you should as well be able to build beautiful things in the future and although things may not seem to click as much as desired they should click extremely effectively be well chana and keep posting what is in your heart tlbb

Ben Rosenfeld