Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thank You

I have very good reason not to trust any Jewish institution.

In fact, I had very good reason not to step foot in YU.

Coming here was a risk I chose to take and I prayed that I would be right in deciding to take it. I didn't know. Those of you who have read this blog from the beginning know how torn I was and how I felt like I was letting go of a dream when I decided not to go to UChicago. Some of you also know how angry I was with YU due to what happened during my interview.

This is where I tell you that I was right and this risk was worth it.

I have had the most amazing year.

I have met people who think, who challenge me, who are interested in their religion, who care about their beliefs. I have met sincere people, truly good people. I have had people tell me that I am wrong and I have respected them enough to listen. I have had teachers who were not threatened by me but who actually respected me and in fact encouraged opinions that others would hurt me for. Teachers who don't see what I do as being heretical but rather see it as being provocative in a good way. Teachers who have been kind and caring and who have helped me grow.

In fact, I have had the incredibly good fortune to meet so many people who have cared for me even though I didn't deserve it and never have.

I don't deserve my friends.

This year has been wonderful because of you.

To name a few (though never all): Sarah, Malka, Jackie, Taz, Yair, Eitan, Marc, Jeremy, Rafi

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have helped me more than you could ever know.

I love you all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go 5B!

Wow...Chana, we'll miss you next year, when we're all living the solitary Schottie life. We won't even all be in one room then, either. But of course, you are still invited to visit our rooms.

Chana, I'm so glad that you finally became unafraid of me and realized that I do respect you immensely--even though I have no fear of disagreeing with you. :-) It's been great to become your friend this year! I feel very lucky to have had the privilege.

Anonymous said...

Chana,
you are funny,witty,smart and a very caring young woman. Thank you for bringing joy into our lives daily. We'll keep in touch by reading your thought- provoking posts during summer and continue having fun once school starts in August.

Jewish Atheist said...

I'm so happy it worked out, Chana. :-) As you know, I was worried you wouldn't be happy there. Glad to be wrong.

Holy Hyrax said...

ahem.....

Charlie Hall said...

Mazel tov on a successful first year. May years two, three, and four be even more rewarding.

Anonymous said...

can't wait to be roommate with you!

Anonymous said...

As a shomer negiah, celebate virgin jew for more than three decades I have encountered two very painful forms of discrimination in searching for the right one. Most people when they first meet me generally love me when they know nothing about me because my heart makes a good impression on them. Then they begin to back off and dislike me once they learn the truth. Rather than accepting my heart and the strength and courage of my convictions, they begin to fear and dispise me which is very painful for me because I love everyone.

1. Orthodox/Charedi Jews discriminate against me because I do not idolize or worship a rabbi and I do not idolize or worship the torah.

2. Christians discriminate against me because I do not idolize or worship Jesus.

I have to ask where are the values that these folks profess to believe in? More specifically where is the love?

laughingwolf said...

of course you deserve your teachers, friends, and their kindnesses... else they would not have appeared in your life at the time you most needed them

blessed be

The Rashblog said...

You are quite welcome, but more importantly, thank YOU for making my year interesting, fun, and exciting.

M.R. said...

OK... finally going through your evil backlog...

Chana, love, you rock. And you certaindly do deserve friends.

I'm touched--I'm thrilled--Yes! I am a Friend Of Chana!!!