Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pretty Up My Heresy

This song is called "Prelude 12/21" and is by AFI. It is beautiful and otherworldly and you can hear the sparkles in it. It's an extremely short song (part of the longer "Miss Murder"), less than two minutes in fact, but it's the fact that he sings, "Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep" that I like. It's like the Christian prayer redone.

Imagine taking this:

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep;
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take

And turning it into this:

This is what I brought you.
This you can keep.
This is what I brought,
You may forget me.
I promise to depart,
Just promise one thing,
Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep.

There's a pretty heresy in that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Didn't Metallica even use the first lines of said prayer in one of their songs? I believe it is Enter Sandman, but I'd have to check back with my brother...
I am on the one hand appalled by this, but then, I also find it fascinating how many musicians use lines from well-known poems/prayers etc for their music.