Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Gilad Shalit

Are you thinking about Nachshon Waxman?

I think we all are.

But that's not what I want to think about, because that's not how I want this to end. I want Gilad Shalit to be released, to be freed, to survive. Or I want Israel to rescue him.

And I have to wonder about him. I wonder what he's thinking about. Would they show him the newspapers, sneer at him, laugh in his face by demonstrating how desperate the world is to find him? Or would they keep him in darkness, so that he doesn't know what the Israelis doing or how anyone feels about him?

Is he worried that his country will sacrifice something sacred in return for him? Or is he worried that they will not, and that instead he will die?

What does he think about as he sits or stands wherever he may be? Is it defiance, resistance, that kindles in his heart, or is it despair?

I do not know, and I will not know.

This is my prayer for Gilad Shalit-

Dear Gilad,

Know that you are loved. Know that we are all hoping for you, praying for you, and wishing for you to come out of this alive and well. If you are hurt, we want you to be healed. We hope they are feeding you; we hope you are not hungry. But if you are hungry, we will all give you food.

There must be so many thoughts running through your mind. Everything from anger to despair to hatred to worry about your parents and your family. I hope that all these thoughts come to a peaceful end. I hope, most of all, that they are telling the truth, and that you are still alive.

Gilad, know that there are people all over the world concerned about you. It may not do you much good- you would much prefer a rescue team than all the concern in the world, at this moment in time. But know that we are with you to support you and to hold you up.

I want to pass on to you the holiest blessing in our litany, the blessing that my teachers gave me and that is given to us on our holidays:

"The LORD bless thee, and keep thee; The LORD make His face to shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee; The LORD lift up His countenance upon thee, and give thee peace." Numbers 6, 24-26

May He protect you from harm.

4 comments:

Ezzie said...

Amen, beautiful. I think we're all anxious right now.

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Let's only hear good news.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Amen.

Only here in Israel, we have Birkat Cohanim every day.

I guess we need it.

the sabra said...

amen amen amen

the battle now is a spiritual one. its in the hands of you and i to rescue gilad.